Educational Opportunties for All Ages
How we love God, ourselves, and our neighbors changes as we grow, and so do our educational interests and needs. Christ Church offers ongoing Bible studies, book explorations, and other special classes.
Two groups for adults meet weekly: A Bible Study and the Thursday Group. And other special events are hosted during the year.
Series and ongoing classes are led by lay people as well as clergy.
We invite you explore current topics & materials on Padlet.
Thursday mornings from 10:00 to 11:30 am at Christ Church
Sunday afternoons from 4:30 to 6:00 pm at the home of Bill and Dee Ferguson
Mission Statement: To grow our relationship with God and with each other by reading and discussing how the Bible applies to our everyday lives.
- To foster Christian community and give participants a sense of belonging
- To provide the opportunity to discuss spiritual issues in a safe environment
- To deepen our relationship with God through Jesus Christ
Our Bible Study is a small-group activity. Participants normally number 8-12.
- Participants commit to keeping in strict confidence all discussions at all sessions.
- Participants strive to attend all sessions of the current study.
- This is not a drop-in study.
Two people organize and conduct the sessions and select the portion of the Bible to be studied. We mostly read and discuss books of the New Testament.
- We meet for an hour and a half once a week.
- Meetings are divided into three parts: sharing, Bible discussions and prayer.
- Our trust and comfort with each other grow with experience.
- We bring our experiences and questions to the group, enabling spiritual growth and fostering personal change.
- Discussions range from profound to humorous.
These Bible Studies are primarily focused on understanding how the Bible applies to our everyday lives. As such, we do not take a scholarly approach, but a practical one. We seek to understand Jesus’ mission and hence our own. We learn; we grow spiritually; we have fun!
For more information on our Bible Study, please connect with Bill Ferguson through the Church Office.
The Thursday Group
This group has been meeting at 1pm on Thursdays for seven years, exploring a wide range of books and topics selected by the participants. Some of these include: Gnostic gospels, Celtic spirituality and drawing Celtic knots, The Book of Joy by the Dalai Lama and Bishop Desmond Tutu. The meetings go for an hour and a half.
During the pandemic, this group met via Zoom. Beginning in March, 2022, in-person gatherings will resume.
All are encouraged to participate.
Seasonal and Special Opportunities
Every December, a special Advent series enriches the lives of all who participate. Parishioners are also encouraged to add their words and images to the daily Advent lectionary on A Pen and a Prayer.
The annual Lenten Series is a weekly event, with a simple dinner and class. In years past, some of these included an exploration of the PBS series, Hacking Your Mind, Richard Rohr’s Immortal Diamond, and The Book of Joy by the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu.